We developed Reflector 2 to bring the most robust screen-mirroring technology on the market to a diverse global audience. Reflector is now compatible with Android and Chromebook devices in addition to its original iOS support. But, as Peter Parker’s uncle once said, “With great power comes great responsibility.”
We knew it was time to step up our security game as we advanced our screen-mirroring capabilities. Any tech company, no matter its size, is responsible for ensuring the security of the people who enjoy its products.
Reflector 2 provides the following security options to bring privacy to your screen-mirroring experience and prevent unwanted connections.
- On-screen password protection – Reflector 2 can populate a unique, on-screen code that’s required for other devices to connect to it. Since the code appears on-screen, only those in the same area as the Reflector 2 user will be able to see it.
- Set password – Have you ever wanted to use your grandma’s birthday as a password? How about your first pet’s name, or the street you grew up on? Go for it. Reflector 2 users can create their own passwords. Every mobile device that tries to connect to Reflector 2 must enter the user-generated password.
- Connection prompts – Users have the ability to set connection preferences before devices are shown. Reflector 2 can automatically “Connect and Hide,” “Connect and Show,” or ‘Disconnect” devices upon connection. These preferences can be saved for future use.
Tech Tip: “Connect and Show” doubles as a time-saving benefit in classroom and business settings because it allows students or colleagues to connect without interruption.
- Accessibility presets – Reflector 2 can turn off Google Cast or iOS connections entirely. For instance, users can eliminate the Google Cast connection option if they know only iOS devices will be connecting and vice versa.
- Reflector Director screen previews – The Reflector 2 companion app allows users to see screen previews of each connected device before broadcasting the screen to a larger audience. The screen preview feature works as a content filter to ensure that nothing inappropriate or unsavory will be shown. Previews can be viewed and selected directly from the iOS device Reflector Director is installed on.
Security has always been a moving target. As privacy demands evolve, so will we. We are confident that the steps we have taken will provide you with a private, worry-free Reflector 2 experience.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions, comments or suggestions.
* On-screen password protection and user-generated password options are not available for connected Android devices because Google Cast does not support password functionality.